Accountancy jobs Cumbria – About Kendal
Located in the South of the Lake District, only 10 kilometres away from J 36 of the M6 , and only a few kilometres from the coast, Kendal is especially well placed to cater for everyone’s career needs. There are excellent rain links from Oxenholme to the rest of the country and to Scotland particularly Glasgow.
Kendal has a population of circa 32,000 and has a plethora of positives such as great shopping, two canals, plenty of historical sites and buildings, great eateries and a very low crime rate. Finance jobs in Kendal are in high demand as are vacancies for qualified accountants in Kendal. Excellent local schools and a great quality of life mean that accountancy vacancies in Cumbria and accountancy vacancies in Kendal attract high application levels. Part qualified and qualified accountancy jobs are filled quickly with competitive salaries and the mountains and the sea within striking distance.
Kendal has always been regarded as a portal to the Lake District, being only around 12 kilometres from Windermere and circa 40 Kilometres from historic Keswick. The other lakes are all within an hour or two’s travelling by car from the town, as are locations for walks and rambles, both gentle and demanding.
Kendal has always been an important centre for trade and commerce. Accountants jobs in Kendal were historically centred around the wool industry as this was one of the main areas of commerce, stock accounting and audit jobs in Kendal were crucial in maintaining the thriving economies integrity. Today of course there are vacancies at many different types of firms with the development of broadband many design, business services and consultancy firms such as our own have made their base in the Lake District.
There is also a strong link with the footwear industry, Kendal being home to the famous K-Shoes brand up until the factories ceased to operate around 2003. The warehouse on the edge of town now houses one of Kendal’s excellent shopping arcades.
The town’s most famous export must be Kendal Mint Cake. Joseph Wiper came up with the original recipe for the Everest conquering energy bars, and by the time the company was sold to rival mint cake makers Romneys, there were a number of local firms producing their own brands. Kendal’s manufacturing industries all but vanished after the demise of the canal in the 1940’s, with the first few miles of the canal from Kendal onwards being filled in and turned into building land, footpaths and cycle ways.
Today the town is home to a thriving retail sector, with no less than five shopping arcades; K Village, the Westmorland Shopping Centre, Blackhall Yard Shopping arcade, the Elephant Yard and Wainwright’s Yard. The town centre has recently mostly been pedestrianised and offers a safe connection point for all these shopping areas.
Kendal is home to a multitude of historically exciting buildings, including the parish church on the river side in Kirkland, a number of houses and office buildings designed and built by renowned local architects, the 14th century Castle Dairy, Kendal Castle and Castle Howe, Abbot Hall Museum, Kendal Museum, a host of churches and chapels and rows of houses built from the 1600’s right through to the present day.
In fact the radio broadcaster, historian and famous son of Kendal, David Starkey, once stated that Kendal could have been like York, if only they hadn’t knocked down so many of the historical buildings. Such was the zealous attitude of the town’s councils towards moving with the times, that, at various times in the last hundred years, great swathes of Kendal’s architectural gems have been demolished to make way for roads and housing developments.
From the Romans, who left us with the camp at Watercrook on the banks of the river Kent, to the Normans who left us with not one but two castles and a church that is only a few feet narrower than the mighty York Minster, to the Elizabethans and the Victorians, who left us with a wealth of architecture that can only usually be found in larger towns and cities, Kendal is a North Western gem that deserves a visit.
Walking around the town amongst the ‘mish-mash’ of building styles can be a delight, and tens of thousands of tourists and locals alike do so each year.
[Above article by Matthew Emmott]
Kendal was the largest town in the County of Westmorland (though not the capital which was Appleby), before it became part of Cumbria. It was a one of the country’s main manufacturing towns from the 14th Century until the 19th Century, with many mills on the River Kent. There are four road bridges in Kendal over the River Kent.
The layout of the town is characterised by the narrow yards and lanes branching from the main street. It is less than a mile from the National Park boundary but is overlooked by the majority of people heading for Windermere and Grasmere.
Kendal. Pic N0782.
Black Hall, dating from 1575.
Kendal’s first Alderman lived at Black hall in 1575. The building was renovated in 1810, and in 1875 became a brush factory, with the sign of the bristly hog.
Kendal Castle, probably late 12th Century, is now a ruin, but worth exploring. From here you can get brilliant views over the town. At Kendal Museum is an exhibition telling the story of the Castle, its people , and the life of the town. There is a reconstruction of the Castle.
The Parish Church, Holy Trinity, is mostly 18th Century, but has been a place of worship since the 13th Century. It is Cumbria’s largest parish church, having five aisles, two each side of the nave, and a fine western tower.
Beside the Church is the Abbot Hall Art Gallery, set in an attractive Georgian House beside the River Kent. Major art exhibitions are held here. The Museum of Lakeland Life is housed in what was the stable block of Abbot Hall. There are displays of traditional rural trades of the area, including farming machinery and tools, showing how Cumbrian people lived, worked and entertained themselves over the last 300 years.
The Museum of Natural History and Archaeology is one of the oldest museums in the country, housing outstanding displays of natural history and archaeology, both local and global.
The Quaker Tapestry, housed in the Kendal Quaker Meeting House, is an embroidery of community art, the creation of more than 4000 people in 15 countries. It shows 300 years of social history, beautifully illustrated.
Castle Howe consists of the earthwork remains of a motte and bailey castle, built around 1092.
Nobles Rest is a public park at the end of Maude Street.
Sepulchre Lane has a small park, where there was once a Quaker burial ground.
Serpentine Woods were created on part of Kendal Fell, overlooking Kendal and the castle during the 1800s. The woods are home to a wide range of bird species, foxes and squirrels. The trees and shrubs grow over a bed of limestone pavement that shows through its layer of foliage in several places. There are a number of paths that can be taken through the woods, with walks totalling around 3 miles in all. The woods have a nature trail with ten stops, each demonstrating a different environment within the woods.
The Town Hall now houses the Tourist Information Centre.
Kendal railway station is on the branch line from Oxenholme to Windermere. Nearby Oxenholme railway station is on the West Coast Main Line from London to Glasgow.
There were once about 150 ‘yards’ in Kendal, often named after the owner of the main house which usually stood at the top of the yard. A good example is Yard 83 – Dr Manning’s Yard, on the right hand side as you walk up Highgate. The yards on this side of Highgate used to run in parallel lines down to the river, where there were factories, weaving shops, dying works, and even a windmill (Yard 65 is called Windmill Yard).
Kendal – Yard 83 – Dr Manning’s Yard
Yard 83 – Dr Manning’s Yard.
Why not travel round Kendal on the Kendal Klipper, a restored 1949 Leyland Tiger, will operate a free service in the town until September 2007.
Alfred Wainwright, author of the famous guidebooks, was born in Blackburn, but lived in Kendal from 1941 until his death in 1991. The Tourist Information Centre in the Town Hall used to be his office when he was Borough Treasurer from 1947 until 1967. In 1977 AW published Kendal in the Nineteenth Century, in which he copied and converted some 19th Century photographs which he had found in the collection of the Kendal Museum, where he was still Hon curator. Many are street scenes, full of people and activity. In the Kendal Museum is the Wainwright Gallery, which contains a recreation of his office.
Wainwrights Yard – the newly refurbished Yard 28
Kendal Market Hall and Westmorland Shopping Centre
Stricklandgate – partly pedestrianised in June 2006
Kendal Farmers Market